How Do I Get My Skills Recognized in British Columbia?

If you're hoping to work in Vancouver or another part of BC, you might need to go through a credential evaluation. Or, if you plan on going to school to further your training, you may also have to get a credential evaluation, which will measure your level of education in comparison to the Canadian system. 

It can be confusing to try and navigate credential evaluations in BC, so we've answered three of the top questions newcomers ask:


When Should I Start the Credential Evaluation Process?

It depends on what your profession is. If your profession is licensed, you should contact the professional regulatory body in BC and ask them what they need as early as possible. This can save you a great deal of time. Depending on the profession (organization) they may have their own evaluation services.

If your profession is unlicensed, or you don't have to retrain to get licensed in order to apply for jobs, a credential evaluation may not be necessary. Some new Canadians opt to get a credential evaluation even if their profession is unlicensed, as it can help employers understand how your credentials compare to Canadian standards.



What Type of Credential Report Do I Need?

There are two types of credential evaluation reports: official and original. Both official and original transcripts can be basic or comprehensive. A basic report compares your certificates (in years) to the Canadian system, while comprehensive reports convert all the subjects you've taken to the Canadian credit (grade) system. 

An official report is just as it sounds - formal proof of your education. Your educational institution in your home country must send your transcripts directly to the credential evaluation service, and they must be signed and sealed in an envelope. Original reports are made with your certificates and transcripts you bring with you to Canada.



What Type of Credential Evaluation Do I Need for Education Purposes?

If you want to go to school in Vancouver or another part of BC to upgrade your skills, check with your new educational institution to find out their requirements in terms of credential evaluation. 


Still Have Questions?

You can find more information about credential evaluations in Vancouver and BC at the following websites:

Credential Evaluation Services (ICES) 
The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) (Canada-wide)

Find Immigration Consultants and Lawyers